Sunday, February 20, 2005

persimmons?

I have only known persimmon through other people. I'm not entirely sure I know what it is.

I imagine a group of children of some mingled, confused ethnicity, laughing and eating persimmon seeds, which exist in potentiality with the children themselves.
I imagine a woman preparing persimmon pie. A man appears. They are both sad to discover the children do not exist.
The children themselves are happy. Having eaten their persimmon, they are sticky with its juices. Soon they will run to the lake and go skinny-dipping and shiver. They will catch pneumonia and stay in bed for weeks and it will all be worth it.

The man and woman are older, now, not so sad. They have a persimmon bush which does not exist, yet takes the place of the children. They had a persimmon flower for awhile, but their neighbors kept talking about it - “I didn't know persimmon was a flower!” and they had to get rid of it. Also, they stopped speaking to their neighbors.
They will move soon, they have decided, somewhere where persimmons grow on trees, and there are lakes.

I long for a day when I, too, can be face-to-face with persimmon, and know it. I worry – have we been in its presence already? Have we spent time together eating something we thought was papaya or parsnip?
Perhaps a persimmon expedition is in our future. We'll start small – Safeway. Giant. Asian/Indian/Mexican groceries.
From there, it's an easy step to the jungle, with its hothouse persimmons and persimmon piranhas around every corner. Persimmon tree frogs will serenade us. We'll stay with our friends and their persimmon tree and their beautiful, wonderful children.

2 comments:

Laura said...

This is so much fun! Yay, Alex.

Hope it's not inappropriate to bring "scientific knowledge" to your fanciful writing, but I did want to point out that: a) persimmons grow both in Asia and in the USA, quite possibly near where you are (but the Asian ones are bigger and more edible); and b) there is a persimmon festival every year in Mitchell, IN (not far from our beloved Bloomington) - so I know they grow there. On trees. Kristen Murphy (from Mitchell) used to make persimmon pudding every November in college (they're only ripe after the first frost -- before that, when you eat them, they're so astringent it puckers your mouth up something fierce!)

Yay for persimmon goodness. :-)

iguanaDitty said...

Silly science!

Wow, persimmon pudding.
The internet, in its wisdom, provided me with a nice picture or two of persimmons on trees. I'm sure there's a few around here somewhere - I'll have to visit the Asian grocery after all.

Thanks, Laura!