Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Movies Seen Lately

Catch Me if You Can
A trifle by Steven Spielburg, with Leonardo DiCaprio.
I have not been particularly impressed with Leo, but he was pretty decent in this movie. Too bad it was so forgettable. But Emily and I had a pleasant time watching it. We laughed a bit. We groaned at its hokiness. We discussed, over random bits of dialogue, whether this was really a true story. We turned the movie off and went to bed without a second thought.

The Triplets of Belleville
This is a wonderful movie. Oddly enough, it really loses a lot in the transition from the big screen to a TV. I think it's because the movie does such a amazing job of building characters through very small tics and mannerisms that when those subtle effects are even smaller they don't add up as much. Or, cleverly, a big screen makes everything bigger.
And it's the little things that make this one a classic for me. My favorite character has to be the little mechanic who looks, and squeaks, like a mouse.
I could probably do without the last 10 minutes or so (even a silly car chase is still a car chase), and the very very ending just leaves me confused, but I love the rest of it so much I don't care. Not one to see every month, but every few months would make me quite happy.

No comments: